Friday, February 16, 2018

The Crown of Thorns

From the St. Benedict Center

Traditionally, each Friday in Lent is dedicated in a special way to some aspect of the Passion. This first friday in Lent is dedicated to the Crown of Thorns.
Dear Lord, I am grieved when I consider Your sad condition when You wore the Crown of Thorns upon Your Holy Head.
I desire to withdraw the thorns by offering to the Eternal Father the merits of Your Wounds for the salvation of sinners. I wish to unite my actions to the merits of Your Most Holy Crown, so that they may gain many merits, as You have promised. Amen.


I was looking though Pinterest to find an image to go with this post and there are many deep and beautiful images of Our Dear Lord crowned with thorns.  But then, some are so very realistic and striking.  But what really inspired this blog post was a related pin.  Among all of the bloody, anguished pictures of Jesus suffering, was an image of the sweet, innocent, and pure Christ Child.  Words can't describe what contemplation brings to my mind, so I'd just like to share some of my favorite beautiful images side-by-side.




 He loves you so much that he was whipped and crowned, suffered and died for love of you.  Let us try to endure our comparatively small pains and trials with love in return.  I pray you all have a blessed Lent.  Let us contemplate the love and suffering of Our Good Jesus this holy season.

God bless you!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Sarah! I love the picture comparisons the best. It really brings home how recent it's been that we celebrated the Baby Jesus, and now we celebrate his Passion!

    Catherine
    frugallyfancyfarmlass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I've always found it a little hard to celebrate the two so close together, but it does make for some good contemplation!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely, Sarah. Seeing Baby Jesus right next to Jesus Suffering...it's so powerful. How could anyone do that to Him, who is so sweet, so loveable, so infinitely adorable and worthy of adoration? How could the soldiers who pressed the thorns into His head have kept themselves from falling on their knees before Him? And yet that's what I have done to Him--what I do every time I sin. Thank you for this profound reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Megan! Wow. Those are wonderful and moving thoughts. It is so sad to think that my sins did that to Him. I'm so glad you liked it. May God bless you abundantly!

      Delete