Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A Visit to the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph pray for us!

Hello and Happy New Year!

I wanted to share with you today a few pictures and thoughts on my visit to the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in Valparaiso, NE.



In November I flew out to Omaha, Nebraska for a refreshing and thoughtful weekend at the Carmel of JMJ.  I didn’t know quite what to expect as I’ve never been on a vocation retreat or visit before, but God is good and He always provides. A local family very kindly helped me out with transportation.

When we arrived at the Carmel, I was a little nervous.  We entered the turn room and rang the bell.  It was so fun to first hear Sister through the turn. She asked me if I was up for a visit with the mothers and so I was directed down the hall to the “speak room.”  It felt like I was in the St. Therese movie!!


The Turn Room



 I was pretty nervous but as the weekend proceeded, I became more and more at ease.  I was blessed to meet 5 of the Sisters and they were all so gracious and kind.  I had plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the Mothers and sisters and they were all very helpful.  The Carmel itself is absolutely gorgeous!! 😍






My retreat was very simple and I was by myself with Jesus most of the time because these nuns are strictly cloistered.  My favorite part of it all was the silence.  Even if you don’t feel called to cloistered life, I would highly recommend going on a silent retreat because in the silence you are not only able to hear the whisper of God better, but you’re also able to hear yourself better.  In the silence, away from the noises and distractions of the world, you can discover who you truly are more fully.  My time was made up of mental prayer, the Divine Office (using the Carmelite Breviary,) reading, meals, and enjoying the beauty of the Nebraska sunsets.







St. Mary (Mariam) of Jesus Crucified, one of my 2 Confirmation Saints.

I am so glad I was able to visit this Carmel that I've heard quite a bit about.  Both Mothers and the sisters were very kind and hospitable.  It was so nice to spend time in silence with our Lord listening for His call.  I absolutely loved it there.  I am back home living with my family still, but I continue to pray every day to discern God's will.  The sisters advised me, and other discerning girls, to go home and take some time to discern if you're really called there.  So that's what I'm doing.  

It is now 2019!  It is a little hard to believe.  I have no idea what this year holds, but I look forward to it with eager anticipation.  I pray you and your family have a very happy, holy, and blessed new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment