Thursday, December 13, 2018

A Poem on Vocations

Praised be Jesus Christ!!

My mom found a booklet of Prayer Poems by Fr. William Armstrong, S.J. in 1968.  Here is a sweet poem on vocations.


Vocations

Vocations differ, as do men, yet each his part does play.
The greatness of our little deeds will shine on judgment day.
It matters not, what task be ours, nor virtues we display, 
What counts with God, is Him to love; in all we do or say.
Each one of us, to God can give, what we alone possess--
The daily off'ring of ourselves; that He, our lives may bless.



I have one more beautiful poem on vows.  I know I (or most of my readers) haven't made religious vows, but this is a great encouragement and an illustration of the graces of the religious life.


       Vow Day

The happiness that filled my heart the day my vows were said
Is nestled in my memory to smooth the years ahead.
I thought with Joy, of Heaven-- the Peace and Glory there.
A tiny glimpse of its great joy Vow Day, the Lord did share.
Throughout the years of work and pain of labor, daily strife
The Lord was ever by my side to bolster me through Life.
The memories of happy days too numerous to list
Blot out for me the worldly things I never really missed.
Sometimes, my heavy-laden heart bowed low, was filled with fears.
But Christ, Our Lord, would comfort me and dry away my tears.
Each day, I labor for His Cause; for souls and Sacred Heart;
And often, God does whisper soft: "Thine is the better part".
I know not what He asks of me in years that lie ahead;
But gladly give myself for souls and get back God, instead. 




2 comments: